Monday, January 09, 2006

Thinx 33: Life: Too Short Or Not Short Enough?

You are mortal: live today as if it is your last.
... you do not know about tomorrow. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.
-- James 4:14 RSV
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil.
-- Ephesians 5:15,16 RSV
Here's the tension, then. On the one hand, knowing that life is short, and that I need to make good use of limited time. And on the other hand, aching for this life to be shortened.
and I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away."
-- Revelation 21:3,4 RSV
Don't get me wrong: I like being alive, my wife loves me and our children are a delight. And yet, I can't remember having faced so much change ... and so much pain. Of all the years of my life thus far, this has been the toughest.

My body is fit and mostly healthy, and yet I often find myself, with tear-filled eyes, crying out for Jesus' return.

I relate well to Psalm 88. It's one of, if not the, darkest of the Psalms. The writer, Heman the Ezrahite, has it bad: troubles, pain and tears. Everyone shuns him. Even God appears not to be taking any notice.
O LORD, why do you cast me off? Why do you hide your face from me?
-- Psalm 88:14 RSV (altd.)
Yet Heman still clings to God, still calls out to him. God is testing Heman. I think Heman is passing the test. Am I?

1 comment:

Amanda Hunt said...

Hi thought I'd let you know that I've added you to my blogroll. Thanks for sharing.