Thursday, September 09, 2021

Thinx 110: When asked if I trust the Lord

When asked, in the context of Covid-19, whether I trust the Lord, I wrote:

I do trust in the Lord.
 
There's a interesting saying from the US Civil War: praise the Lord and keep your powder dry. 

I'm sure you remember the Lord's Prayer. After the opening address the first three petitions are all about God: his name/reputation/character; his long term plans; and his will and decrees. After that come petitions declaring our dependence upon him for everything. But I don't see much there about him doing for me what he expects me to do. We ask for daily needs. He provides us with the means to acquire them; daily whatever doesn't just fall through a hole below the ceiling. He expects me to forgive. He expects me to flee temptation. He expects me to trust him for outcomes that aren't currently obvious. 

Believing in Jesus isn't a ticket to a problem free life full of glory, gold and girls. It can be a ticket to a life of suffering. But the suffering is never pointless. 

One may imagine no heaven and no hell. I'm persuaded that these places exist and I'm pursuing the one who owns the former. 

The Bible teaches that everyone goes to hell. One does not need to sell one's soul to the Devil as he already owns it. If a different destination is desired, God has provided a way: repentance of sins and faith in his son, Jesus.

No comments: